ADRA’s response to the Bushfires
7 January, 2020
The bushfires that are ravaging Australia are devastating. Dozens of lives have been lost and hundreds of houses burned to the ground.
Since November, ADRA together with Seventh-day Adventist churches and volunteers, has provided food and accommodation to people affected by the bushfires, and has supported the firefighters. Below are just a few examples of the many ways your support has made this possible:
- 30 affected families and individuals have received payment of $500 so far
- Volunteers from Bairnsdale Church in Victoria packed and delivered a total of 80+ hygiene packs to 2 evacuation centres. They also sourced and delivered generators, food for livestock and other specifically requested goods
- Churches such as Bega, Coffs Harbour, Dorrigo, Forster Nuncurry, Wingham and others have been and are currently providing shelter for evacuated people and animals
- Albury Church has been assisting the community of Burrowye with food and supplies for 4 days, via truck escort
- South Kempsey Aboriginal Church volunteer teams were helping neighbours reduce fuel load around their homes
- Alstonville Retirement Village kitchen stepped in to assist the local RFS to provide meals and water support
- Churches such as Gateway, Glen Innes, Guyra, Inverell, Kempsey, Macksville, Nambucca Heads, Port Macquarie, Taree and Tenterfield have been providing emergency personnel and displaced residents with food and water from their pantries
With the fires set to burn for months, unless we receive a generous amount of rain, we know that the relief efforts will be ongoing. Here are some ways you can continue to help:
- You can donate to our Disaster Relief Fund now, or by calling the team on 1800 242 372. Donations to this fund are currently being used to help communities and individuals who have been affected by the fires.
- You can join us in prayer. Let’s continue to pray for rain, pray for those who have lost loved ones and property, and pray for those who put their lives on the line to protect others.
We pray that you are keeping safe. And, if you have already donated to our bushfire response, thank you. Your donation is already making an incredible difference.