Applications Close: 16 November 2020
About the Role
The Adventist Development and Relief Agency (ADRA) Australia is seeking applications from qualified and experienced professionals for the role of assistant accountant.
Applicants must have a degree in either business, accounting, or commerce with at least two years’ experience in preparing and processing journals, monthly reconciliations, BAS returns, financial management reports & budgets. A strong working knowledge of SunSystems accounting package and MS Office, excellent written and verbal communication skills and meticulous attention to detail is required. The successful applicant will need to be able to work with a variety of stakeholders including church conference and local committees of management, departmental personnel, beneficiaries, donors, and staff. This is a full-time permanent position.
The successful applicant will enjoy the opportunity to work with a small team to provide accounting services for all areas of operations of ADRA Australia.
About the Team
The Finance team is small team of six led by the Director of Finance. This role reports directly to the Director of Finance.
The Position Description is available on request from firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Willingness to work within a Christian ethos with conduct that is respectful of the beliefs and practices of the Seventh-day Adventist Church when in the workplace or otherwise representing ADRA Australia
- A degree in business, accounting, commerce or at least five years’ experience in a similar role preferred but holders of a Diploma in Accounting can also be considered.
- A minimum of two years’ experience in a similar role (Diploma in Accounting)
- A sound understanding of accounting principles and the ability to apply them in the financial operations of ADRA Australia and their partners including
- a working knowledge of the Microsoft Office suite of software including proficiency particularly in the use of Excel spreadsheets
- experience in the use of relevant computer-based accounting packages (e.g. SUN, MYOB, XERO)
- experience in preparing reconciliations (bank, accounts payables and receivables)
- preparation and lodgement of BAS returns
- preparation and presentation of monthly and annual financial reports
- preparation of budgets
- Effectively and sensitively communicate financial information, orally and in writing to individuals with a wide range of technical and non-technical knowledge of financial issues
- Meticulous attention to detail
- A high level of organisational and time management skills and able to meet deadlines
- Work effectively as part of a team
- Ability to engage and communicate with people of various backgrounds and ages
- Prior experience in payroll processing
- Ability to work in multi-task environment and coordinate several assignments simultaneously
- Ability to interact with others effectively under pressure and determining the appropriate course of action in stressful situations
- Prior experience in financial analysis utilizing current technology
Relevant Competencies – ADRA Competency Framework
- Delivering Results and Meeting Customer Expectations (6.2) – Focuses on customer needs and satisfaction; sets high standards for quality and quantity.
- Following Instructions and Procedures (6.3) – Follows procedures and policies; keeps to schedules; arrives punctually for work and meetings.
- Achieving Personal Work Goals and Objectives (8.1) – Accepts and tackles demanding goals with enthusiasm; identifies development strategies needed to achieve career goals and makes use of developmental or training opportunities.
- At the time of application, the successful applicant will already have the legal right to live and work in Australia.
- Commitment to abide by the ADRA Australia Code of Conduct and organisational policies and procedures. A copy of relevant policies is available on request.
- ADRA Australia takes the prevention of sexual misconduct, harassment and child protection seriously and screens applicants for suitability. The successful applicant will be required to obtain a police check for each country in which the individual has lived for 12 months or longer over the last five years, and for the individual’s country of citizenship (including dual citizenship holders). The successful applicant will need to provide their consent to a criminal record check. ADRA Australia recognises that in limited instances it may prove impossible to obtain a reliable criminal record check. In such circumstances a statutory declaration outlining effort made to obtain a foreign police check, and disclosing any charges and spent convictions may be accepted.
- Applicants will be requested to disclose whether or not they have had a substantiated Sexual Exploitation Abuse or Harassment claim of any nature made against them in Australia or overseas. This is included in the Job Application Form.
How to Apply
If you would like to apply for this position, candidates should address the selection criteria in their application letter providing examples of past experiences and qualifications. Forward your Cover Letter, Resume and the names of three work related referees to Alison Young by 16 November 2020. Email: AlisonYoung@adra.org.au Phone 02 9473 9503
ADRA Australia is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) employer. The appointing body reserves the right to fill this position at its discretion.
Open Heart International Volunteer
If you’d like to make a difference with this great organisation, click here to find out more.
ADRA Australia is a child safe organisation and screens applicants for suitability to work with children, successful applicants will be required to obtain a police check. Police checks must be conducted for each country in which the individual has lived for 12 months or longer over the last five years, and for the individual’s country of citizenship (including dual citizenship holders). Individuals need to provide their consent to a criminal record check and should be informed of the purpose for which the resulting police clearance certificate should be used. ADRA Australia recognises that in limited instances it may prove impossible to obtain a reliable criminal record check. A statutory declaration outlining efforts made to obtain a foreign police check, and disclosing any charges and spent convictions related to child exploitation, may be accepted in lieu.
ADRA Australia is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) employer. A copy of relevant policies are available on request. The appointing body reserves the right to fill positions at its discretion. Successful applicants will already have the legal right to live and work in Australia.
Preparing for an ADRA career
ADRA partners with the International Poverty and Development Studies program of Avondale College. For more information contact Avondale College.
International Development Internship
Volunteer positions with ADRA implementing offices are also available through Australian Volunteers for International Development.
Please keep checking back for other opportunities, or send us an email with your CV to enquire about future positions.